Posts for: May, 2019
Is stress causing your headaches, or is it something else? All you know is that you're in pain and want relief. Steven Syrop DDS is your Facial Pain/Headache specialist in Manhattan and Westchester, NY, and he can uncover the reasons for your oral and facial pain and help you find relief!
In general, there are three kinds of headaches suffered by children and adults alike: sinus headaches, migraines, and tension headaches. Also, many people—about 10 million in the US according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research—have TMJ/TMD. This jaw joint disorder is famous for dental, facial, and headache pain.
At Dr. Syrop's office, the professional staff sees numerous people who cannot get to the root of their headaches. Perhaps they have seen doctor after doctor and tried medication after medication to no avail. When they come to see Dr. Syrop, they experience the listening ear, compassion, and skill they need to feel better and get back to their lives.
How to find relief
When you see Dr. Syrop, be sure to describe your headache symptoms as fully as possible, including details on their location, intensity, and any possible triggers that cause them. This Manhattan and Westchester headaches specialist will examine your jaw muscles and jaw joint, explore how your jaw operates, and order imaging as needed.
Following the consultation, Dr. Syrop will comprise a care plan to prevent your headache symptoms and to treat them if they do occur. Depending on your particular issue, your plan may include:
- Relaxation and stress-reduction techniques
- BOTOX injections to limit the movement of muscles controlling jaw movement
- Over-the-counter analgesics such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Prescription muscle relaxants and other medications.
- Oral appliance therapy (acrylic devices customized to reduce teeth clenching and TMJ/TMD)
- Jaw stretching exercises and other physical therapies
- Keeping a diary of symptoms and triggers (lack of sleep, too much or too little caffeine, physical activity)
- Getting aerobic exercise (e.g. walking or swimming) at least twice a week
Live the life you want
You don't have to let persistent headache pain rule over your daily activities. Dr. Steven Syrop and his team help scores of people just like you feel good and function at their best! For a headache consultation, please contact one of our offices in either Manhattan or Briarcliff Manor at (212) 969-9166.