Posts for: October, 2019
It can become a major distraction when every time you open or close your mouth you hear a clicking sound or feel your jaw adjusting. This is a common finding but when there is pain or difficulty opening the mouth it is called TMJ/TMD or temporomandibular joint disorder. This condition, which affects about 15 percent of Americans according to the American Dental Association. Find out the various signs of this disorder and relax knowing that treatment options are available at Dr. Steven Syrop’s dentist office in New York, NY.
What Is TMJ Disorder?
TMJ or TMD is a disorder that affects the jaw joints or the muscles attached to the jaws. It can become very painful. It can be caused by an injury, bruxism (grinding or clenching the teeth too much), or a predisposition to arthritic conditions. In some cases, patients experience a locked jaw, where they can’t open or close their mouths.
Signs of TMJ/TMD
Your New York dentist can definitively diagnose whether your jaw problem is related to TMJ. Here are some signs that should prompt you to visit Dr. Syrop's office for a consultation:
- Clicking and popping sounds when you’re chewing your food or talking.
- Resistance when trying to open your mouth wide.
- Pain in the cheeks or in front of the ears (where the upper and lower jaw meet).
- Headaches especially in the morning upon wakening.
The best treatment for TMJ disorder will depend on the extent of your symptoms and other factors. Here are a few possible treatment options:
- Ice therapy to reduce swelling or heat therapy for pain relief.
- Mouthguards (particularly worn at night) to prevent tooth grinding.
- Jaw exercises.
- Muscle relaxants or anti-inflammatory medications.
- Botox to relax facial muscles and reduce pain
No More Jaw Pain and Discomfort
If you’re tired of having pain when you eat or talk, and you want relief from TMJ/TMD. Call (212) 969-9166 today to schedule a visit with Dr. Steven Syrop at his office in New York, NY or in his Westchester NY office in Briarcliff Manor.