Sleep apnea is a serious condition that can be fatal if not treated effectively. The longer you wait to address this issue, the biggest risks you will have. You could develop other health problems, including cardiovascular troubles. Fortunately, there are ways that you can treat this illness and overcome its symptoms. Your dentist may recommend…
Tips To Make a Night Guard Last
A Night Guards is an oral appliance that is used to protect teeth from teeth grinding and clenching. These conditions lead to excessive forces being applied to teeth and that can lead to wear and structural damage.
Teeth grinding tends to occur during sleep, so most people with the condition are not even aware of it until a roommate or partner lets them know about their noisy habit. Teeth grinding is believed to be caused by a variety of factors like overactive jaw muscles, stress, a poor bite or emotional issues.
Taking care of your night guard
A night guard helps to cushion the forces applied to teeth due to teeth grinding. The appliance is inserted into the mouth and it protects teeth during sleep. Properly maintaining your night guard allows you to increase its longevity. Here are some things you should be doing to keep your nightguard in good condition:
- Rinse it out in the morning: Nightguards should be rinsed with cool water in the morning to remove any plaque and saliva that accumulated on it during sleep
- Clean it with a toothbrush: A toothbrush should be used to clean the night guard each day. There is no need to use any toothpaste and the abrasives in it can damage the appliance leading to it wearing down faster. Gently brush the night guard with a toothbrush and rinse it with cool water
- Air dry after use: Nightguards should be dried before being stored in a case. Find a clean, cool area to air dry it and place it on a piece of paper towel. It takes about half an hour for most night guards to dry out
- Store it in the proper case: Night guards typically come with a storage case provided by a dentist. These cases are designed to keep the appliance germ-free and clean so use it as directed
- Deep clean as needed: Regardless of how well night guards are cleaned, bacteria will accumulate on its surfaces over time. Some of these bacteria can lead to illnesses when allowed to grow to unhealthy levels. A deep cleaning helps to remove bacteria building up on the appliance. This involves soaking the appliance in denture solution for about an hour or soaking it in antibacterial mouthwash for the same amount of time. Be careful not to overdo it since excessive soaking can damage the appliance
Protect your teeth with a nightguard
Often wake up in the morning with your teeth hurting, a headache or a sore jaw? It might be the result of teeth grinding. The habit will eventually lead to many of your teeth becoming damaged due to excessive forces they are regularly exposed to. A night guard helps to protect your teeth against these forces.
Give us a call or visit our New York clinic so our dentist can evaluate your condition. Treatments can be performed and the dentist can provide you with a customized nightguard.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Night Guards in New York, NY.
One of the most prevalent symptoms of a TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction is headaches. Tension headaches are the most prevalent type of headache, and TMJ headaches fall within this category. It typically feels like wearing an overly small hat, with discomfort forming a ring around the head or a migraine headache.A variety of TMJ-related factors…
Looking for information on oral medicine treatment provided by a craniofacial pain specialist? This type of dental professional is one who has furthered their education by undergoing additional dental training, as well as medical training. This additional training allows them to treat their patients using both dental and medical treatment options, which includes oral medicine.According…
As uncommon as most people think it is, sleep apnea actually affects people every day. While a lot of people that experience sleep apnea think that there isn’t hope for themselves, there actually is. With the help of a sleep and TMJ center, a person can receive the treatment that they need in order to…