Sleep disorders can get in the way of sleeping through the night, which is an essential part of maintaining good health, but thankfully sleep medicine is a field focusing solely on these issues. Without a full night’s rest, a person may not be able to function properly, and this can get in the way of…
Tips To Make a Night Guard Last
A Night Guards is an oral appliance that is used to protect teeth from teeth grinding and clenching. These conditions lead to excessive forces being applied to teeth and that can lead to wear and structural damage.
Teeth grinding tends to occur during sleep, so most people with the condition are not even aware of it until a roommate or partner lets them know about their noisy habit. Teeth grinding is believed to be caused by a variety of factors like overactive jaw muscles, stress, a poor bite or emotional issues.
Taking care of your night guard
A night guard helps to cushion the forces applied to teeth due to teeth grinding. The appliance is inserted into the mouth and it protects teeth during sleep. Properly maintaining your night guard allows you to increase its longevity. Here are some things you should be doing to keep your nightguard in good condition:
- Rinse it out in the morning: Nightguards should be rinsed with cool water in the morning to remove any plaque and saliva that accumulated on it during sleep
- Clean it with a toothbrush: A toothbrush should be used to clean the night guard each day. There is no need to use any toothpaste and the abrasives in it can damage the appliance leading to it wearing down faster. Gently brush the night guard with a toothbrush and rinse it with cool water
- Air dry after use: Nightguards should be dried before being stored in a case. Find a clean, cool area to air dry it and place it on a piece of paper towel. It takes about half an hour for most night guards to dry out
- Store it in the proper case: Night guards typically come with a storage case provided by a dentist. These cases are designed to keep the appliance germ-free and clean so use it as directed
- Deep clean as needed: Regardless of how well night guards are cleaned, bacteria will accumulate on its surfaces over time. Some of these bacteria can lead to illnesses when allowed to grow to unhealthy levels. A deep cleaning helps to remove bacteria building up on the appliance. This involves soaking the appliance in denture solution for about an hour or soaking it in antibacterial mouthwash for the same amount of time. Be careful not to overdo it since excessive soaking can damage the appliance
Protect your teeth with a nightguard
Often wake up in the morning with your teeth hurting, a headache or a sore jaw? It might be the result of teeth grinding. The habit will eventually lead to many of your teeth becoming damaged due to excessive forces they are regularly exposed to. A night guard helps to protect your teeth against these forces.
Give us a call or visit our New York clinic so our dentist can evaluate your condition. Treatments can be performed and the dentist can provide you with a customized nightguard.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Night Guards in New York, NY.
About one to 10% of children will have sleep apnea, according to the American Family Physician. Some children will outgrow the condition. However, it is a good idea to seek treatment, as it can cause failure to thrive. Read on to learn more about this condition and what a family dentist can do for it.During…
A TMJ specialist's dental office is a great resource to make use of when suffering from any temporomandibular joint dysfunction or disorder. Symptoms often include pain, aching and difficulty performing activities such as eating and speaking. Because of how serious the symptoms can be, it is essential to visit a TMJ specialist as soon as…
Suffering from sleep apnea? Dental sleep medicine treatment is an option that many people who have been diagnosed with this sleeping disorder are choosing to undergo, as this option uses oral appliances to treat those in need. Ready to find out if an oral appliance is the right solution for you?Understanding that sleep apnea is…